Sunday 21 September 2014

Second-hand Book Shopping

Hello lovelies,

Gosh has it been a week already?

I've had a bit of bad luck with second-hand book shopping this week. First it started with a trip to the University Bookshop here in Dunedin where I was under the assumption all their sale books were $1.00. I assumed wrong. Turns out all the books about parenting, diets, natural handmade makeup and meditation were all $1.00, but if you wanted anything substantial then you were looking at $15.00 or more.

So then on Friday I decided to do a google search of the second-hand bookshops in Dunedin and it came back with quite a few, some of them I had already visited. One was called Octagon Books and in 2009 it was named one of the top 10 bookshops in the world! So I was like, how come I have never heard of it before? And I manged to find an address, went round and low and behold the place had shut down ages ago.

Not to worry, on to the next shop down near the oval. That place was essentially stocked with Mills and Boon novels so I left pretty quickly. Then I decided to head out to North Dunedin and visit a second-hand bookshop in the Gardens mall which had a website and quite good feedback. So, turns out that place it shut down too!

But what came out of all this was a goal. A goal to hire or buy a camper van and travel the whole of New Zealand visiting every second-hand bookshop possible. And I'll blog about it the whole way and eventually I'd like to turn it into a novel. It is quite a long-term goal, but one none the less.

Do you have any fantastic second-hand bookshops in your town?

No comments:

Post a Comment